Context: we can reveal that the transcripts from phone conversations between esteemed composer Tony Hatch and musical impressario Micky Most have recently come into our possession...
Tony Hatch:
Micky, let me read the lyric I was telling you about...
'You only love me when I'm laughing!" crooned the drunk baboon, don't make a monkey out of me...
and tease me for my tune.
That's a PG tip,
make no mistake,
gyrate a hip
and get a grip
I'm a blooming blubbing baboon...
Why-Oh-Why-Oh-Why-Oh-Why [beating chest]
d'you make a monkey out of me?
Why-Oh-Why-Oh-Why-Oh-Why [beating chest] d'ya leave me swinging
from tree-to-tree.'
Micky Most:
Great! Do we repeat and go round again or is there another verse?
Tony Hatch:
I suggest a low tuba line coming in for the chorus
Micky Most:
No problem. At this point we have to make a decision. Do we move on to other love starved animals, or do we stick with monkeys?
Tony Hatch:
I've got another lyric that I've been sitting on for some time now Micky. It goes like this...
'Neighbours,
Everybody needs good
Neigh-bours,
With a little understanding etc'
What d'ya think Micky?
Micky:
That could be a great theme tune for a soap opera about people who live in the East End of London.
Tony:
Back to The Baboon Tune: potential performers? My initial list of contenders are:
- Mike Read ('Runaround')
- Art Garfunkel
- Iggy Pop
- Stephen Fry
- The philosopher and cultural commentator, Irving Berlin
- The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Naseem Hamed
- Harry Rednapp
- The newsreader, Robert Dougal
What are your thoughts Micky? [...]
Micky, I was sipping a martini when I had a brilliant idea for our Baboon performer! Babs Windsor!!

No comments:
Post a Comment